Victorian Liquor Licenses for Fundraising

Licensing Authority: Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation

Updated: 1 February 2016

If you want to serve alcohol at a fundraising event in Victoria, there’s a good chance you’ll need to apply for a licence. Victoria grants a number of different types of liquor licenses, the most relevant for alot of fundraisers is the Temporary Limited Licence.

Temporary Limited Licence

A temporary limited licence is usually for one-off events. The scale and scope of the supply of alcohol is limited (eg by the amount of alcohol, customers, variety of products, trading hours). If you’re planning to hold an event with a large crowd and it will have a significant impact on the surrounding area, a Major Event licence may be more appropriate.

You may not need a licence if you hold a private function where liquor is supplied free of charge. However, if the supply of alcohol depends on buying and selling other goods or services (eg free drink with dinner, or free drink with each facial), you will need a licence.

If the liquor is being supplied by a caterer, or the event is held at a licensed venue, your organisation will not need to apply for a licence. The catering company or venue must have the licence.

Temporary Limited Licence Conditions:

  • a person or organisation applies for temporary licences to cover a maximum of six one-off events at a venue over a 12-month period
  • a maximum of three events will be accepted per application
  • an applicant must have the right to occupy the premises during the event or season nominated
  • The area must not primarily be used by people under the age of 18, eg a indoor play centre
  • An application fee applies
  • Water must be supplied free of charge

For more information, head to the temporary limited licence application page. The temporary limited licence fact sheet is also very helpful and includes some examples of licensed and unlicensed events.

VCGL asks licensees to notify the local council and the Victorian police if they intend to supply alcohol.

If you’re unsure about what licence is suitable for you, the Select a Licence tool is helpful. The information here is only intended as a general guide, not individualized advice. Head to the VCGL website or contact the Commission for advice tailored to your specific situation.

Related links:

VCGLR Liquor home page

Select the Right Liquor License tool