It comes around every four years. It’s more rare than a ‘blue moon’.
2016 is a leap year, and Monday the 29th of February is a bonus day. It’s sometimes referred to as ‘leap day’. It’s a reason to celebrate!
It’s not far away, so you’ll have to *jump* on it. Yes, you’ll need to *spring* into action. See what I did there? 😉
This tip is written with schools in mind but modify it for your sports or community club if you happen to meet on Monday the 29th.
On Leap Day, why not have a little fun. Think ‘seven lords a-leaping’. Think ‘leap for joy’. Think ‘quantum leap’. Maybe even ‘leap frog’?
It doesn’t necessarily have to be a fundraiser – just a fun activity, or it could join the ranks of your gold coin fundraisers…
These activities could be done before school or at lunch, or during classes – perhaps one class at a time. Here are some ideas:
- Have leap frog races.
- Draw a white chalk line on your oval and have the kids do a ‘hop, skip and jump’ routine and measure how far they get. They might get extra points for how silly they can look. You can allocate points to your school houses and declare a winner at the end of the day. Create a ‘mini-carnival’ feel at lunchtime. You can get some token prizes, perhaps related to frogs – frog stickers anyone? Print up some Leap Day Champion bookmarks? (Use Canva.com for creating amazing great designs free – check out my earlier tip here).
- Hire a jumping castle (ask for it to be donated in exchange for promotion to the school community, or get it sponsored by a local business, or just run it on a cost-recovery basis) and take classes down and jump for a gold coin donation.
- Organise a ‘leap to school’ day where students meet at a pre-arranged point and you do silly-walking to get to school.
Combine your Leap Day with a special ‘Leap Day’ tuckshop meal. The great thing about special day orders is that you can send out the notices a week before and know in advance how many you need to prepare. Make sure you are mindful of your regulations regarding treat days if you decide to add a leaping freddo frog into the mix.
Here’s a menu to start your thinking:
- Chicken and lettuce sandwich
- Apple slinky
- frog in a pond (jelly with a mini chocolate frog) or a plain chocolate or jelly frog.
If you don’t want to use chocolate, see if you can get your hands on some frog stickers.
Leap day is a bonus day – an extra day that we only get every four years. It’s a great opportunity to reflect on the precious gift of time and how we use it. But that’s just me being a softie 😉
Now…. Leap into it!
aka the Fundraising Whisperer