Are you looking for an easy to organise fun family night? Transform your school hall, undercover area or the school oval into a glow in the dark workout space and hold a Glow Zumba night.
Zumba is a fun event where you can dance your way to fitness and it’s suitable for all ages and all fitness levels, so there’s no excuse for anyone not to join in! Originating in Colombia, Zumba combines a range of dance styles in choreographed, easy to follow routines.
How do I organise it?
- Ask your community if anyone is a Zumba instructor that would be happy to donate their time to your fundraiser. If not contact your local Zumba class to see if they can help. They may supply their own sound system if you don’t have access to one.
- Decide where you will hold your event – hall, oval, undercover area – you will need some lighting so that people can see the instructor.
- Source your glow products. We have a number of suppliers who have a great range of glow items that can help you.
- You probably won’t need to sell food, but drinks will be a definite – ask local businesses if they can donate water for your event. If you have the budget, you could event get customised labeled water, especially for the event.
- Charge an entry fee – maybe $5 per person or $10 for a family. Try pre-selling tickets to get an idea of how many will attend.
- Decide what’s included with the entry fee. I’d suggest one glow item and a bottle of water.
- Advertise, advertise, advertise!
Extra money makers:
- Have other glow items available for purchase on the night – they are like magnets for kids and you can make some extra money from sales.
- Sell additional water and other drinks.
- Sell glow in the dark body paint or hairspray. If you can get hold of a couple of ‘black lights’ / UV lights this can really add to the atmosphere.
- Raffle – make sure it’s something ‘fitness’ themed. Your local sports store is a good starting point.
- If you have the person power available, you could have a sausage sizzle afterward which is a great social catch up opportunity.
Did you know that in Colombian, Zumba means “to move fast and have fun”? So, get your community to skip the gym that day and come and workout with the family for a good cause.
For an event that only runs for an hour, you could find yourself making a decent profit and if your event is a success, you could introduce it as a monthly fun family activity!
Originally published 25 September, 2018
You might also be interested in:
- Envelope Fundraising
- The ‘Colour’ Fun Run Phenomenon
- Organising Fundraising Dinners
- Overcoming Fundraiser Reluctance
- Plan the next fundraiser learning from mistakes