Father’s Day Stall
Fathers Day is just around the corner so if you don’t have your gift stall organised, you’ll need to get cracking! I have based this tip from my Mothers Day Stall tip earlier this year but added in some more reader ideas. Enjoy!
These stalls are brilliant as everybody benefits! Kids get empowered to choose a gift ‘by themselves’, no-one has to take them to the shops, the gifts are pretty cheap (but mostly surprisingly good quality) and your school or club has the chance to raise some important funds. AND of course the thrill of the gift-giving itself – the anticipation on their faces is the greatest gift of all!
Here are 10 Tips for running a fantastic Fathers Day stall.
- Time to order your stock if you haven’t already!
- Keep your pricing in whole dollar amounts where possible. Reader tip: ‘We keep our pricing between 50c and $10 and include a wide range of gift types – not all dads like coffee and golf!’
- Have the classes brought down separately in their own time to prevent the rush. Bring the little ones first so there’s plenty of stock for them. Reader tip: if you have a large school, run it over 2 days. It is more ordered and you can make an emergency run for more stock if you are running out!
- As a back-up bake plenty of cookies which can be sold in the tuckshop if you don’t need them.
- You can have someone organised to make a dash to the dollar shop if stock is running low. You are better off purchasing the bulk of your stock directly from a specialized wholesaler (we have a list of them on our site – find them here) but it’s good to have a back-up plan.
- Set up a ‘gift board’ where children can see what’s on offer (away from the busy-ness) and decide before they come over to make their purchase.
- Prepare a secret ‘gift guide’ a few days before so they can browse their options and decide between siblings who is getting what. I’m sure dad doesn’t want 3 sets of golf tees!
- Consider making your own paper and setting up a wrapping stall. I have written about this idea a while back – (search the following phrase in google and you’ll find it: fundraising tip – wrapping paper for mothers day stall)
- Watch out for leftover stock – a massive drain on profits!! Be conservative when ordering and have an emergency backup plan.
- Recording handover notes is so important!!! Record what you ordered and from where, whether you would recommend the supplier again for next year, what you should have ordered more of and less of. Record it while it’s still fresh in your memory!
Publisher of the Fundraising Directory and author of the Practical Fundraising Handbook for school and club volunteers.
You might also be interested in these articles: