What are the Australian Raffle Rules?
Let’s take a look! One might think that the common raffle was a simple beast. Buy a couple of raffle ticket books at Officeworks and off you go!
Well… not quite.
I have researched the raffle rules (and harassed the poor staff where the rules weren’t clear to me) in each State and Territory in Australia. The differences across jurisdictions would knock your socks off!
Did you know that in some places in Australia, you aren’t able to sell ‘bundles’ of tickets (eg $2 or 3 for $5) at all? In some places, you have to sell your raffle tickets in one day or else you need to apply for a permit?
It is very important to be aware of the raffle rules that apply to you.
Here are the links to the overviews we have prepared for your State or Territory!
- Australian Capital Territory Raffle Rules
- New South Wales Raffle Rules
- Northern Territory Raffle Rules
- Queensland Raffle Rules
- South Australian Raffle Rules
- Tasmanian Raffle Rules
- Victorian Raffle Rules
- Western Australian Raffle Rules
For schools, you may need to check whether there are additional restrictions imposed by your State governing body. The links to all of the relevant State bodies in Australia can be found here.
You may also be interested in:
- Making the Most of your Raffle Ticket Sales
- Interesting Raffle Prizes
- 25 All-Time Best Fundraising Ideas
- Food safety for fundraising events