NOTE: This guide has now been superseded by our ‘Free Resources’. We have put together over a hundred ‘how-to’ guides, templates, links and downloads to make your job as easy as it possibly can be. Please click here for a downloadable copy of the Fete Convenor Resources.
How to Organise a Fete
This guide is an excerpt from the Practical Fundraising Handbook for School and Club Volunteers.
In this guide you will learn:
• how to plan what is often the most important day in your fundraising calendar
• strategies to make your fete stand out from all the others in your area
• how to put everything in place for this year and get ready for next year’s fete
• why planned communication is so important
• top tips from the experts for a fabulous fete
• how and where to get your message heard in a noisy world of competing messages.
Great fetes and festivals don’t just pop up— voila! — like magic. They result from months of hard work and rigorous planning. Mix together creative planning, astute preparation and a bit of luck with the weather, and every fete can run smoothly, be an enjoyable day out for all who attend and be financially rewarding to boot.
In Australia, primary schools dominate the fete scene but whether you are organising a community-based festival, fiesta or fair, the same principles apply.
Success rests with what happens behind the scenes. Take a deep breath. Don’t be frightened. You can organise a fabulous fete because I’m about to share all the know-how I have that will enable you to create a GREAT fete.
If you look at the fete as one big fundraiser, you may well have a panic
attack! And run!! Instead, as with any fundraising task, let’s break the
event into bite-sized chunks.
My own fete planning goes like this:
- Set a Goal
- Make a Date
- Dream Themes
- Appoint a Fete Committee
– The Selection Criteria
* Fete Convenor
* Fete Secretary
* Fete Treasurer
– Meeting for the first time
- The Fete File: A Fete Convenor’s Bible
- Your Pre-Fete Check List:
1. Fete location
2. Fete entertainment
3. Fete insurance and risk management
4. Fete utilities
5. Hire a fete generator
6. Fete equipment hire
7. Fete money matters
8. Fete stalls
9. Fete First Aid
10. Fete Publicity
11. Fete photography
12. Fete program
13. Fete sponsors
14. Fete volunteers
- The day before the fete
- It’s fete show time!
- Fete clean-up and Fete wrap-up
Go to next chapter: Set a fete goal
Read fete profiles
See fete templates