Fundraising Liquor Licensing Tasmania

A note of caution: this article is intended only as a general guide. Whilst the information provided is correct, to the best of our knowledge, at the time of publication, we strongly advise anyone who is planning to sell alcohol to seek the advice of the regulating authority below.

Fundraising Liquor Licensing Tasmania

Updated: 14 January 2016

Licensing Authority: Tasmanian Liquor and Gaming Commission

A special permit may be the way to go for fundraising events that include alcohol. Special permits are generally for selling liquor for a specific event or on an occasional basis.

There are four types of special permit based on the amount of time a permit is required:
• up to four days;
• four to thirty days;
• six months; and
• twelve months.

Permits are usually given to not-for-profit organisations doing fundraising events, social or sporting activities as well as businesses holding major events like concerts. Special permits are needed at events if liquor is being supplied by paying an entry fee into a function, by cost per glass or by pre-sold tickets.

Exceptions: Special permits aren’t needed for private events like weddings, where liquor is provided free by the host. “BYO only” events generally don’t need a permit.

The website warns that special permits can’t be used to allow selling alcohol in places where it is specifically banned.


  • Special permit holders must be 18 years old.
  • The permit is issued to the person who applies on behalf of an association, society, organisation, club or other bona fide body running the event or function.
  • Selling or consuming liquor cannot be the main purpose of the event, selling/consuming alcohol has to be incidental to the event.
  • The different permits have different application forms but all applications need to be submitted at least 7 days before the event starts.
  • There are fees to make any special permit application.
  • See the Tasmanian Gaming and Liquor Commission website for more details about conditions, FAQs and advice.

The information in this article is intended as a general article on Tasmanian liquor licensing laws. Please see the Tasmanian Gaming and Liquor Commission website for more details about conditions, or contact the Commission for advice that is specific to your situation.


Useful Links:

Applying for Special Permits

General Liquor Licensing information


Information for Potential Liquor License Applicants

Liquor Act 1990