On a cold wintery day, there are not many things better than snuggling by a fireplace, sipping hot chocolate and eating comfort food. These are also some of the things that make the idea of a European Christmas appealing. Christmas in July is not a new concept and has been around since the 1940’s, however it’s a tradition that has gained popularity in recent years.
Its purpose is certainly not to replace the original, but given the fact that we are used to celebrating Christmas in the middle of summer, it’s a bit of a novelty to have a winter Christmas like they do in the northern hemisphere.
July is typically the coldest month of the year here in Australia and with its wintery appeal it was chosen as the month of celebration and if you’re in the southern states you could even be lucky enough to have a ‘White Christmas in July’. The colder winter weather is much more conducive to emulating the atmosphere of a northern hemisphere Christmas with big roast dinners, mulled wine, open fires and dodgy Christmas jumpers.
For us fundraisers, it’s another opportunity to raise money for our cause and here are just a couple of ideas on how you can work a fundraiser around the festivity…
- For schools and clubs with a canteen, host a ‘ Christmas in July ’ day, with appropriate food and a small ‘lucky dip’ style treat.
- Organise a ‘Christmas in July’ dinner, or even a trivia night built around the theme. Don’t forget the Christmas carols and prizes for the best dressed.
- Sell raffle tickets to win a mini Christmas tree decorated with gift vouchers, rolled-up money and scratchies. (Note, don’t include the scratchies if you are selling tickets to children!).
Any of your usual Christmas Fundraising ideas will work and with Christmas shops online and open all year round in some cities, it’s easier than ever to get hold of decorations.
If you’re looking for more Christmas fundraising ideas, click through to our website for our mega list.
You might also be interested in:
- Fundraising with Children’s Artwork: Christmas Cards and Gifts
- 10 Ideas for Winter Fundraising
- Winter Wonderland Theme
- Fundraising Tip – Stalls, Mothers Day, Fathers Day and Christmas